Monday 11 January 2016

5 Things Authors Say That Annoy Book Reviewers.




1. “You’ll love my paranormal dystopian post-apocalyptic political thriller set on the Planet Zod.”
When you’re choosing who to approach, first make sure that they have already reviewed your genre. To do this, just click on the reviewer’s profile on Amazon to see their other reviews. A fifty shades fan? Then don’t offer them a children’s picture book. Historical romance novels? You’re unlikely to convert them to sci-fi. Even if you get them to accept your book out of their comfort zone, remember that they may not enjoy it, and are more likely to leave a less favourable review. There will be more appropriate reviewers out there. Go get them. Lesson: Don’t waste time by trying to fit a square book into a round hole.


2. “Please, please, please post your review on Amazon, Kobo, Goodreads, Smashwords, Nook, and tweet the links once a week until you die”
If a reviewer says “Sorry, I only post on my blog”, an authors should not come back and say “Oh, just cut and paste to Amazon”. Book reviewers are not slaves, no matter how you phrase your orders. If you’re rude or presumptuous, it’s a reviewers prerogative not to post a review anywhere at all. If I particularly like a book, or if the author is in a different Amazon territory, I’ll probably copy it to their local Amazon sites too. If I like a book so much that I really want to promote it to my friends, I’ll also add it to my Facebook. Lesson: Be nice.


3. “Thank you for reviewing my book but could you change the last part of the review to....”
No. Unless its a speling error, No. Lesson: Never look a gift reviewer in the mouth.


4. "Why did you give only 4 stars! you obliviously didn't interpret the book in the correct manner!”
Each reader’s reaction will be different, and the author does not have the right to tell a reader that their reaction is wrong. My reviews are usually generous and upbeat, and any criticism is very constructive. Yet I’ve had some very odd and aggressive responses, demanding to know why I’ve given “only” 3 or 4 stars. I usually reply courteously but I'm already clear in my own mind that I will never review a book by that author again. Lesson: Sometimes you must accept what you are given.


5. “Have you read it yet? have you? you must have! why not!?"
Book reviewers should not be taken for granted. Reviewers have their lives and other priorities. Book reviewers call the shots on when they post their reviews. They are volunteers and not an authors’ PA. Lesson: Patience is a virtue.

Sara Knight.



About Sara: Editor of Lady Sara's Book Blog, she also writes guidebooks for authors. Columnist and co-founder of the Drunken Druid Awards, her views touch on anything that takes her fancy.




1 comment:

  1. Just to add to point 3 - When a review contains spoilers but doesn't clearly warn readers of such

    Unfortunately, I've had to call out reviewers on that one.

    ReplyDelete